Sunday, August 8, 2010

Pro-Life!!!

So, what is the difference in those of us who have already been born compared to those that are in the womb?

Four things: S – L – E – D

1) Size. Is a smaller person less human than a larger person? If so, where do we draw the line between small and large? Because I am over 6’ tall does that make me more human than my wife who is less than 5’ tall?

2) Level of Development. The unborn are not as developed as the rest of us. Their livers don’t function as well as ours, they don’t have the reasoning capacity that we do, and they can’t see very well. Because I have a doctorate am I more human than someone with a high school diploma? Doesn’t my degree make me more developed?

3) Environment. Does a person become more or less human as they change their environment? If you are in a swimming pool are you less human than when you are in your home? The unborn is covered in fluid.

4) Degree of Dependency. The unborn is completely dependent upon his/her mother. The ‘just-born’ baby is as well. Throughout our lives we are dependent upon others to varying degrees. We begin completely dependent, progress to less dependence (at least hopefully) then go back to being more dependent as we age.

In order to justify abortion I must make a decision about how small or large a person must be before they can be killed. I must determine what level of development is acceptable and not acceptable. I must also determine which environment is conducive to living and in which it is permissible to kill someone. And finally I must determine what degree of dependency is too much dependency.

As you can see, we have more similarities with the unborn than we do differences. The bottom line is this; if the unborn child can be killed, anyone can be killed. It’s just a matter of definition.

(The SLED acronym is not mine and I do not remember the original author. I heard it several years ago and it made such an impact I’ve never forgotten it.)



Charles Thompson, DVM

U.S. Congress, 2010

918-316-1452

No comments:

Post a Comment